We have gone back to school. It all started when Chris and Thomas invited the scouts/deacons to help paint my classroom. I also invited some of the kids I taught previously that I would teach again this year. I got the primer, paint and pizza and we were ready!
The kids worked pretty darn hard helping cover the awful paint that was in the room before--yes, I did paint it those colors two years ago and am still wondering, WHAT WAS I THINKING?
I forgot to take into account the drying time of primer so we sent the kids home, started fans blowing like crazy, and worked on the paint until we were getting too close to the alarm setting time.
That was an interesting evening. Can I tell you, I do love the way the room turned out. I will have to take some photos.
Outside my classroom door I have my well-know chili peppers hanging in the hallway--I am still pleasantly suprised that the amazing kids I teach are so kind and respectful of my chili peppers and they are still in the condition they were when I purchased them--
Have I ever told you about why I hang the chili peppers outside my classroom door each year? Well, it is from a little segment I heard one day on the food network. Apparently in the old days people would hang some chili peppers outside their front door signifying they had food and guests were welcome. I can just imagine some hungy person on his horse looking for those red chili peppers and feeling so hopeful for nourishment and company.
I tell this story to my little ones each year and remind them that they are welcome and I will nourish their minds. :)
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I never knew that about chili peppers hanging on the door - that is awesome Shayla!
I hope you school year is off to a fantastic start. Miss you!
What a neat idea!
I'm thinking that chili peppers wouldn't stand a chance outside of my classroom door. You must have some great kids!
I was thinking I might need to come visit for some nurishment!
Post a Comment